Doesn’t it seem as if everything nowadays is focused on the millennial buyer? No wonder older people sometimes call them the ‘entitled generation’ – every company seems to be fawning over their wants, tastes, preferences and choices! However, it is undeniable that millennials will become the most important demographic group in the first half of the 21st century. If companies wish to remain relevant and profitable in the future, the needs of the millennial customer must be given foremost priority. As they get older, the world must adapt to their norms and as they are already adults or on the cusp of adulthood, they will be the ones setting the trends of this century (if they are not already). One key trend started by millennials that is worthy of mention is that of leading a healthier lifestyle. Millennials like to incorporate healthy living in all aspects of their lives, be it the clothes they wear, the food they eat or the goods and services they consume. Millennials prefer making a statement with natural clothes, organic food and an earthly lifestyle. This also applies to the aromatherapy market, as millennials seem to be increasingly attracted towards natural remedies and a smell that perfectly complements their lifestyle. They are looking at aromatherapy as they are well aware of its therapeutic benefits that help them deal with the stress caused by modern day fast-paced life.
Marketing to a millennial customer can be considered an art. They are quite a fickle group who can move from one source of information to another in the blink of an eye, making it quite challenging to grab and hold their attention. Some pointers on how an aromatherapy company can grab millennial eyeballs are mentioned below –
- Get to the point – Millennials have a shorter attention span than the generations that preceded them. Companies are well advised to keep their marketing brief, simple and to the point to ensure that the message gets through.
- Most educated generation – Millennials are the most educated generation and have the ability and willingness to verify the facts. They will not appreciate being hoodwinked and do not hesitate in correcting companies for any errors. Thus, aromatherapy companies are advised discretion before making any tall claims of purported benefits.
- Be unique – Keep the product original, fresh and unique. New scents are the most stimulating for millennials as they have virtually ‘smelt it all’ and want something different.
- Make them feel special – Millennials do not like marketing that is targeted at a homogenous group of people. They like to feel special and personalised customer –seller relations will go a long way in making them appreciate a particular brand.
- Be involved – The best approach to keep a customer involved in a product is teaching them to be involved. Aromatherapy specialists should give step-by-step approaches on how to use the products to the fullest. This is the surest way of grabbing a millennial customer’s attention.